Today we went to Easter Seals Crossroads.
Working with adults with disabilities, we had to remember to not just talk to them like we would talk to kids.
During our time there we got to experience the daily routine of the some of the people with disabilities such as cooking and cleaning. Afterward we socialized with them, playing games and talking with them about their lives. It was so much fun. We didn't want to leave but we had to.
After interacting with them, the volunteer coordinator took us to different rooms and let us know what needed to be cleaned.
We had a lot of fun helping out; wiping down toys, mopping, and cleaning therapy equipment and ball pits.
Afterwards we went grocery shopping, where we bought a ton of ingredients for meals for the next few days.
When we got back to the church, the majority of us slept, slumbered, snored, and I can't think of any more s words but there were lots of z's! (That was a joke… maybe.)
Then we ate dinner (made by Nick, Sophia, Liz, and Maria) and we had more s words: Sophia's Secret Sauce. That's no joke, it's legitimately secret as she refuses to disclose the ingredients that went into it and let's be real, it's a little cruel to tantalize the rest of us like that.
Ignoring the last two sentences, we had super delicious stir fry and rice, and gathered at the dinner table like the Last Supper. Except it was our first. (At a table.) I don't know if that comparison made sense, but I hope it did.
I talked to Cherise and asked her how old she was, she said she was 20 and i said the same thing. I tried to give her a high 5, but she slapped my hand real hard that it turned red and i couldn't feel my hand for 5 minutes. I would be so afraid giving anyone a high 5 in the future now. And the secret sauce, yeah..I will tell you all at the end of our trip.
Hearing Latoya's laugh when she won alphabet go fish was incredible. Brooke's face while we sang happy birthday was something that will stay with me for a long time.
The cereals at aldi's are complete dopplegangers.
So today was pretty amazing. Everything went better than my greatest expectations. We had some great conversations with the clients and staff at Easter Seals Crossroads during our lunch with them. Our hosing is so wonderful, we have full reign of this super cool room with tons of games, couches, and space. Our first reflection went so well that we are still taking as I write this sentence. Indy AB is off to an Amazing start!
Little to no collaboration happened. We talked and wrote in a circle to unusual results!
No comments:
Post a Comment