Monday, May 26, 2014

The Culture, the Wonder, the City: Exploring Indianapolis

To start off, Today was Amazing!!! We started our day back at the Indianapolis Art Museum. The building was closed but the 100 acre gardens were open. They were beautiful, interesting, quirky and fun all at the same time. My favorite piece was this area just filled with signs with different sayings. Some said things like "a nice bunch of weeds" or "sometimes a chipmunk" while others were more informative and would point to a plant with the scientific and common name. We ate lunch in the park along the side of a lake and it was quite wonderful.
After the Art Museum we went to the Indianapolis Children's Museum (thanks to my Aunt Kim who donated the funds). The instant I saw the water-clock I was a 7 year-old kid again. When I was little I used to go with my family in Indianapolis and I got so excited when I saw the exhibits I loved as a child. The best part was going up to the forth floor and seeing how almost everything there was just as I remember, from the climbing wall to the Rube Goldberg machine with pool balls. I was so happy everyone wanted to go and we all had a pretty good time.
To close off our day, after dinner, we decided to walk part of the Indianapolis cultural trial. We mainly looked at several of the war monuments and one or two churches. It was quite fitting since it was memorial day and we even had a moment of silence a top the World War 1 monument to honor the veterans and those that gave their lives for our country. The city is actually quite beautiful and since it was evening the weather was wonderful. At the end of our walk we stop for ice-cream, thanks to our wonderful staff advisor Dr. C (aka Dr. Seuss). Thinks are really going well for us here in Indy, especially since this is a new trip. I hope the trend continues as we finish off the week with 2 more days of service.

-- Nick

No comments:

Post a Comment